Enrolling or switching your health plan is easier than you’d expect.
Simply follow the instructions below.
For FEHB Medical Plans:
1. Choose a medical plan.
- New hires have 60 days to choose benefits
2. Have the answers to the following questions ready:
- Will you be enrolling yourself only or you and your family?
- Which plan did you select?
- What is the enrollment code for that plan?
- You can find the enrollment code using our tool to the right.
3. Most agencies enroll electronically using one of the online tools listed below:
- Employee Express: See a list of agencies participating in Employee Express.
- Department of Defense: DoD automated enrollment systems.
- U. S. Postal Service: PostalEASE system or the telephone enrollment system.
- Department of Energy: DOE automated systems.
- Health and Human Services and Environmental Protection: MyPay.
- Employees of agencies payrolled by the National Finance Center: Employee Personal Page.
4. If your agency uses paper forms, you will need the SF 2809 (available below).
- Print it, fill it out, and provide a copy to your human resources office.
- Download SF 2809 form
5. If you are an annuitant (retiree), and would like to enroll in Aetna Direct or any other Aetna plan please see below:
- To Enroll online using OPM’s Open Season Online system: click here: https://retireefehb.opm.gov/
- To Enroll by Phone: call the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Retirement Information Center at 1-888-767-6738 (or 1-800-878-5707 for a TDD for the hearing impaired).
- Retirees in the Washington DC local calling area should dial 202-606-0551 for a TDD for the hearing impaired.
- Send an email to OPM at email@example.com.